Customers who install the Microsoft Security update (MS16-088) that was released on July 12, 2016 will experience problems opening Excel files downloaded from any version of Illume or Discovery. The details of this update have been documented by Microsoft in the following article:
DatStat intends to address this issue by updating our formatting for Excel downloads in our next quarterly maintenance release which is currently scheduled for October 2016. A fix will be provided for Illume and Discovery versions 5.1.1, 6.0, and 6.1. This will likely be a permanent bug in Illume 4.x and it is recommended that any customers on 4.x upgrade to our latest version of Illume in order to resolve this issue.
For customers unable to upgrade from 4.x, and until a fix for this issue has been released, we have been able to confirm two viable workarounds for this issue.
- Unblock access to the file through the file properties
- Download the file
- Right click on the file in the downloads folder and choose Properties
- On the General tab of the Properties dialog, click the Unblock button
- Click Ok
- Disable the Protected View setting within Excel
- Open Microsoft Excel
- Go to the File tab
- Click Options from the menu on the left
- In the Options dialog, click Trust Center from the menu on the left
- Click the Trust Center Settings button
- In the Trust Center dialog, click Protected View from the menu on the left
- Uncheck the box labeled "Enable Protected View for files originating from the internet"
- Click Ok in the Trust Center dialog
- Click Ok in the Options dialog
If you're looking for more information on how to use our products Visit DatStat Academy for informative videos, documentation and survey design guides.